Running is something I’ve always wanted to do. I’ve stopped started many times before, and it wasn’t until 2009 that I discovered the Couch to 5k (C25K) that I was actually able to run without stopping, first 5k, then 10K and finally my first half marathon in May 2010 and my second in November of the same year. My biggest problem was always my inability to allow myself to build up strength over time, C25K helps you do this. Even though I’ve continued to run over the past 3 and half years, I’d kinda stalled. I couldn’t go any faster, my stamina during training was not the greatest and though my body was shaping up to be a runner’s body I still suffered ankle and back injuries.
When I started Shaklee 180™ at the beginning of March, I was anxious, scared and excited. I was most anxious about starting this new weight management program in the middle of my training for the More FITNESS Half Marathon in mid April The training has already been hard. Our family has been riddled with cold, ear infections and just generally knocked around by old man winter. I was worried that 2 smoothies a day would not be enough to fuel my body. One green smoothie a day 2-3 times a week I was used to, but this would be different.
To my surprise, the change in my energy once I started Shaklee was almost immediate. I stopped snacking, I increased my water intake to a level that I didn’t think was possible, and meatless mondays extended to 3-4 days per week. For me (and I hazard a guess for most people!) white sugar is not a friend of mine! I was fooling myself before Shaklee 180™ – convincing myself that I deserved that sweet treat cause I’d just ran 5 miles. But most of all, I don’t think my muscles were getting the protein they needed to bounce back.
I can’t overlook my hard work and desire to complete my next half marathon, but I can’t deny that Shaklee 180™ has helped me align my nutrition to a level that makes sense for my body. So now my anxiety is about the half marathon – geez, its been so long since I’ve run one.
Besides the obvious nerves about the race, I’m also looking forward to it being over so that I can start experimenting with all the different classes being offered at my local Y. I love to run, don’t get me wrong but once I don’t have a specific race as a goal I need to spice it up with different activities. Hey jazzing things up is bound to be good for my metabolism, right?
What I have (re) discovered since starting Shaklee 180™
- I love beets!
- White sugar is not a friend of mine
- I need to drink a TON (scientific measurement, I swear!) of water in order to be hydrated for running
- I don’t need more than one coffee a day
- I don’t need meat at every dinner time meal
- Being prepared with snacks makes life on the go a whole lot easier
- To be mindful of what crosses my lips
- I AM an emotional eater. That doesn’t mean I am depressed or sad, but my indulgent eating can be fueled by emotions – like being tired, juggling many things at once, being highly focused
- The starving Biafrans won’t be affected by me not cleaning my plate…and definitely not by me clearing my kids’ plates
- Chew slooooowly, it takes about 20 minutes for the brain to register that you’re full
- When I’m actually bored and not hungry, I chew gum
- Before I get to snacking, I ask myself if I’m really hungry
- I’m wondering why I stopped experimenting with raw foods, their will be more tasty raw treats to come!
I’ve really enjoyed my first month on Shaklee 180™. Besides the physical change, I’ve had a lot of personal growth. No matter what the scale says today when I do my one month weigh-in, I’ll still be pretty uplifted by the changes I’ve made and how they have affected my whole family for the better. I’ll be posting an update on mt weight and inch loss after Easter. Until then, don’t eat too much chocolate
What’s on your Fit Agenda this weekend?
disclosure: This is a sponsored post as part of the Shaklee Corporation blogger program. I have received free products, online support and incentives for participating. My opinions are my own. People following the weight-loss portion of the Shaklee 180™ Program can expect to lose 1-2 pounds per week.