I’m someone who will always create, adapt or follow an easy recipe as opposed to an elaborate one. So hosting Christmas morning champers was right up my alley! Lindauer bubbling over glasses was probably the most important part of the morning for the adults, and I also created a few breakfast/brunch appetizers to keep us going til the main course.
These French toast cups are a sweet and savory treat that combine some of my favorite breakfast foods into a no fuss finger food that is yummy and filling! This an easy no fail recipe that looks like a gourmet treat.
What else could you stuff the French toast cups with ?
Ingredients (makes 12)
6 x medium royal gala apples
3 tbsps of brown sugar
100g of butter
1 tsp of vanilla extract
8-10 small breakfast sausages
12 slices of wholemeal bread
1/4 cup of milk
- Grease the muffin tins and set aside. Preheat the oven to 190 degrees celsius.
- First up is whisking up the french toast batter – eggs, cinnamon and vanilla in a deep bowl.
- Slit each piece of bread, halfway up (as pictured above) – this will make it easier to form the cups in the muffin tins. Dunk the bread in the french toast batter, then turn with fingers and dunk on the other side. Hold the bread from the top corners and allow the excess batter to drip off.
- Roll the bread into the muffin tin to form the “cup” and push the bread to the sides of the tin along the way. Once you’ve repeated this for all 12, put the muffin tin in the oven for 12-15 minutes are until the French toast cups are golden brown and come away from the tin. Test one cup and make sure the bottom is not soggy. Set aside to cool.
- Prepare the breakfast sausages as you normally would – I like grilling them in the oven.
- While the sausages are cooking, prepare the apples by peeling the skins, coring and chopping into little cubes. Melt the butter in a frying pan and then toss in the apples to cook. As the apples soften stir in the brown sugar to create that apple pie type mixture that will go into the french toast cups. This can take 10-15 minutes for the apples to become tender and soak up the butter and brown sugar. Set aside until sausages are ready.
- Once the sausages are cooked, wait to cool and then chop into small pieces and stir into apple mixture.
- Assembling the mixture to the french toast cups is easy. You can set the 2 aside separately in the fridge overnight and scoop the mixture in 30 minutes before you want to serve and then reheat. Or, you can make it all on the morning of the brunch and assemble as guests arrive.