A couple of the same bloggers who I share my Monday Mamavation posts with threw around the idea of a 30 Days of ME Challenge. The basic premise is that you take time out each day of March to make sure that you are taking care yourself. This challenge resonates with me as time to myself is something that I have very little of these days between shuttling a toddler around, taking care of a baby, a husband, and a home.
Shelley from Slightly Off Kilter and Mamavation explained it so eloquently.
If you’ve ever flown before, and
ignoredlistened to the flight attendant’s pre-flight emergency preparedness instructions, you may recall that they tell you
“If you are flying with small children or others in need of assistance, in the event of an emergency, put your oxygen mask on first and then aid those you are with”
Then, they walk up and down the aisles telling anyone sitting with small children the same thing because let’s face it, we weren’t REALLY listening in the first place…
Please hear this – commit it to memory – If you aren’t taking care of YOU, you can NOT take care of anyone else…
Highlights of my week:
This week was all about catching a few minutes to myself without spending money or having to go out of my way to the point where it wasn’t relaxing.
- Went for a run by myself without my iPhone. It was nice to be alone with my thoughts, usually I would have music on, but it was nice to be aware of my surroundings and to hear sounds I wouldn’t normally hear, like the ducks (what noise do ducks make, they don’t chirp or cluck? It’s kinda a ‘gawk’ noise).
- Felt like adding a bit of color to my nails, but I have a very meager supply of color at the moment, so I made do with what I had. I used scotch tape to create the division between the dark and cracking polish. I placed the tape on an angle and painted the cracking side first, removed the tape and let it dry before doing the dark polish side. It didn’t photograph so well, but it looked fun. I’d definitely do it again with 2 plain polish colors and maybe even try a different shape.
- I took a bath and read through the weekly junk mail. Even though I love baths, I rarely take them at the moment, so this was a big deal. I even found a few useful deals in the flyers.
- One evening after I finished my 30 Day Shred workout, I added in a Happy Hips Sequence that I found on Pinterest.
- I created a moisturizing and soothing at-home foot spa. Again, I used what I could find in the pantry. I was pleasantly surprised by the results. I did this on Sunday and every since I have made a real effort to moisturize and then put on socks to help the lotion soak in. My feet have not been this soft in a very long time.
*My at home foot spa was inspired by a post from The Frugalette, A Frugal Beauty Makeover Under $15
Did you get some time out for you this week? Make a plan to have ME time next week.